FOOD. Science. Technology. Quality

Food. SCIENCE. Technology. Quality

Food. Science. TECHNOLOGY. Quality

Food. Science. Technology. QUALITY




Binding cadmium and lead using natural polysaccharide fibres from some fruit and vegetable wastes


The use of polysaccharide fibre from fruit and vegetable wastes for heavy metal sorption can improve the health promoting qualities of food and human nutrition. The objective of the study was to verify the possibility of binding heavy metals: cadmium and lead by utilizing the chokeberry and tomato fibre wastes. It was proved that the wastes selected for research (chokeberry pomace and tomato pulp) could be regarded as a rich source of dietary fibre (they contained over 50 % of total dietary fibre comprehended as NDF + pectins). The chokeberry dietary fibre preparations are characterized by a diverse lead sorption capacity (SPb) in a highly acidic milieu (ca. 30 % at pH = 2.0) and in a slightly acidic milieu of ca. 80 %, as well as of a relatively low cadmium sorption level of SCd -2 ÷ 3 %). Irrespective of the process conditions, the dietary fibre derived from the tomato pulp is a good sorbing agent of Pb and Cd (SPb: 67 ÷ 68 % and SCd: 57 ÷ 59 %).


dietary fibre, fruit and vegetable wastes, chokeberry pomace, tomato pulp, sorption of cadmium, sorption of lead